Fall is just around the corner, and that means it’s Pumpkin Season!!!
I love fall. It starts to get a bit cooler, the leaves turn pretty colors, and it’s the season of PUMPKINS!!! Pumpkins both make beautiful decorations and delicious food. Every year, I buy a tiny pumpkin to put on my desk and one to put in my house as a decoration. I’ve yet to carve pumpkins, but that’ll probably happen sometime in the future. Fall is also when I started dating my fiance, and when we plan to be married.
Today I celebrated fall (which is still technically 15 days away) by making pumpkin pancakes for breakfast and a pumpkin coffee-free “latte” to have with lunch (along with leftover pancakes). Both turned out delicious. The recipes are below.
Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
Kroger’s recipe includes cream cheese syrup, but I ate these without syrup so my recipe is without syrup.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Additional butter for cooking
- In a bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. In another bowl whisk together milk, pumpkin, egg, butter and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just blended.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat; add enough butter to coat pan. Use ~3tbsp of batter for each pancake; cook until one side is golden and bubbles form and start popping. Flip and cook until second side is golden.
Makes about 4 servings of 4 pancakes each (total 16 pancakes). Following is per serving.
- Calories: 274
- Total Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated Fat: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 77.7mg
- Sodium: 47.2mg
- Carb: 39.5g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Sugars: 10.6g
- Protein: 7.6g
Pumpkin Spice “Latte” (no coffee)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or ground cinnamon)
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and blend well. Heat to a simmer; do not boil.
- Top with whipped cream and another sprinkle of spice
1 serving. Nutrition for whipped cream is not included.
- Calories: 196
- Total Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 19.5mg
- Sodium: 117mg
- Carb: 29.3g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sugars: 27.4g
- Protein: 8.6g
Pumpkin cupcakes that got me 4th place in a cupcake contest:
- 1 box spice cake mix + ingredients on box
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Follow the directions on the box, adding the pumpkin puree with the other ingredients. Top off with cream cheese frosting.